AISR participates in the NECIS organization. The Northwest European Council of International Schools (NECIS) is an organization of ten schools similar to ours. Our main tournaments are with these schools. The Athletic Directors from each school meet four times each year planning events and working to improve the organization. NECIS schools host and travel to other NECIS schools during the sport season and all schools meet at the end of the season for a tournament hosted by one of the NECIS schools.
This organization promotes that each school should work toward a common aim to achieve an efficient and well-balanced sports program that promotes healthy competition, sportsmanship, and full participation.
NECIS organisation and Calendar
PhilosophyThe NECIS Sports Council exists in order to provide opportunities for international schools located in Northwestern Europe to meet in specified tournament activities on a competitive basis. Each school should work toward a common aim to achieve efficient and well-balanced programs that promote healthy competition, sportsmanship, and full participation.
- To foster a sense of enjoyment and achievement throughout a tournament.
- While recognizing that all participants should play to the best of their abilities, students should be encouraged to accept defeat gracefully and to celebrate success in a sporting manner.
- To provide opportunities for positive emotional development in competitive and social situations.
- To improve physical fitness.
- To allow students to accept responsibility.
- To allow students to display leadership skills.
- To teach our students the principle of cooperation among individuals while striving for a common goal.
- To develop a positive working atmosphere between a coach and his/her team.
- To demonstrate adequate preparation for the sport in which the students are involved.
- To teach the necessary skills and impart knowledge of the rules and tactics necessary to participate in each sport.
- To develop an interest in and a desire to continue sports activities in later years.
- To provide opportunities for and to encourage social interaction with students from other international schools.
NECIS Statement of Sportsmanship
The purpose of the Northwest European Council of International Schools is to provide a venue for athletes from the member schools to compete in an environment to demonstrate his/her best athletic ability while maintaining a spirit of respect and co-operation with fellow athletes from various international backgrounds.
Each event involves students and adults in their different roles: athletes, coaches, sports officials and spectators. All those involved in the event are expected to uphold the same spirit of respect and co-operation. This spirit is demonstrated by fair play among athletes, positive encouragement from coaches, impartial judgments from officials and respectful enthusiasm from spectators. The positive behaviour of the adults is crucial to the successful educational aspect of the tournament.
The adults act as models for our athletes. Therefore profanity, deliberately making noises that distract and interfere with the performance of a competing athlete, the condemnation of coaches or officials, or any behaviour that is disrespectful or degrading to the NECIS standard of sportsmanship, jeopardizes the purposes of the NECIS organization, and most of all, jeopardizes the quality of the experience for the athletes.
As the event ensues, we ask that all of our parents, coaches, officials and athletes keep this vision of our purpose in mind.
For all NECIS Tournaments, please view the NECIS Tournament Site for tournament information, schedules and results.